Recently, I decided to restore a Fatar Studio Logic 2001, a full-size weighted master keyboard from the early 2000s. Despite its age, this instrument still has a solid feel and remains a fantastic piece of hardware well worth giving a second life.
The unit I picked up looked tired but structurally intact. The chassis was straight, all the weighted keys were present, and nothing seemed broken beyond normal wear. Like many older MIDI controllers, it just needed some attention: a deep cleaning, a few key repairs.
Opening the keyboard revealed years of dust, especially around the keybed and contact boards. Fatar’s construction is surprisingly serviceable, once the top panel is removed, the internals are easy to access.
I removed all the keys, cleaned the rubber contacts, and gently vacuumed the interior. The weights and mechanics were still in excellent condition, which speaks to how well these keyboards were built.
Like many vintage keyboards, the Studio Logic 2001 relies on an internal battery to store system settings. The original battery was soldered directly onto the PCB, a common design back then, but very inconvenient for future maintenance.
Since I didn’t want to pull out the soldering iron every time the battery dies, I decided to install a proper battery holder. Removed the old soldered battery. Cleaned the pads and installed a new CR2032 battery holder. Inserted a fresh battery.
One I've installed the new battery I've notice preset where gone, so I connected the unit to my interface, sent the SysEx preset file, and within a few minutes the update was complete.
The Fatar Studio Logic 2001 might not be a modern controller packed with sliders, pads, and lights, but it has something more important: a premium keybed and an incredibly solid build.
Notes
- read risk disclaimer
- excuse my bad english



No comments:
Post a Comment