Saturday, July 9, 2016

Joyo Vintage Overdrive mod - Tube Screamer clone


The Joyo Vintage Overdrive JF-01 is a Tube Screamer guitar pedal clone.


I've checked it against the TS-808 Tube Screamer schematic, and what I've found is that it has the circuit, it also has the same components values of the Tube Screamer.
Indeed, at least to my ear, it's sounds like a TS-808.


But, because i would like to experiment a little, i apply some mod on this pedal.
I've basically given a little more distorsion to the pedal. I also add a "Fat" switch, to makes it sounds fatter, and I've replaced the two clipping diode with two 5mm IR leds. Also I've changed two electrolitics caps of this pedal with two film caps.


Below you can find my schematics.




I would like to thank my friend "Bond" that lends me his Tube Screamer clones, which I've used as reference in addition to a genuine TS-808 by Ibanez.

Notes
  • read risk disclaimer
  • excuse my bad english

8 comments:

  1. Hello David i have a cuestion, i need replaced de Capacitor 10? or add the new capacitor with fat switch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, good question, It's not weel explained in my post above. Anyway, the fat switch select from the C10 cap between a 100nF or 390nF, but you can experiment other values that may sounds better to you.

      Delete
  2. Hallo,if you can know how much the value of C2 and DO, less clear writing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, D0 is a 1n4004 it's just a reverse current protection diode, C2 is 100uF.

      Delete
  3. Hello Davide, I too have this pedal and I wanted to change the bypass switch with a Click-Less True Bypass Kit
    relay module. My question is how do I know which one of the wires are the pc in and the pc out coming from the pcb board of the pedal . I need to connect these 2 wires to the new relay module but I cant see anything showing them marked on the pedal . Thanks in advance. I am new to this but I am eager to learn .Rey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, now my pedal is attached to my pedal board, so I can just tell you how can you do, not what wire is to attach. Anyway that should (not tested) be ~almost~ https://mike-bland.com/images/3pdt-wiring.png the wiring of the true bypass of this pedal. Start with a multimeter, and find the +9v and GND connections, trace out that using a continuity test on the pedal board, or looking at the board. Then continue with a continuity / eye test and trace out the other 4 wires, the input/ouput jack plug can help you having contact exposed.

      Delete
  4. Thanks Davide . Much help . Very generous
    Rey

    ReplyDelete