Sunday, September 6, 2026

Korg NTS-1 repair: bringing the mini midi connection back to life

/div>

A friend of mine recently bought a used Korg NTS-1, the little DIY digital synth that punches way above its size. Unfortunately, his has a problem: the 3.5mm TRS MIDI input jack was loose. It looked like the previous owner had forced a cable in or pulled it out roughly, damaging both the jack and the PCB pads beneath it.

Opening the case revealed that the MIDI jack had in part detached from the PCB.

The solder pads were partially lifted, and a couple of traces were damaged.

I desolder and remove the jack, rebuild the broken PCB traces, reinstall then the connector.


To restore them, I used UV-curable solder mask and exposed copper wire to recreate the missing sections. So I cleaned the damaged PCB area, laid down thin repair wires to reconnect the broken traces, covered the repair with UV solder mask and then cured it under UV light to protect and insulate the new paths.

I had a small amount of B-7000 glue to secure the jack mechanically.

After reassembling the synth, the MIDI input worked perfectly.

 

My friend now has a fully working Korg NTS-1.

Notes

  • read risk disclaimer
  • excuse my bad english


No comments:

Post a Comment